Heritage Night 4: Open Source

Hello and welcome to the fourth Heritage Night! So far so good, eh! Unfortunately, I don’t have anything big planned (unlike last time) today, but the topic will be interesting just the same. The topic is ‘open source’. There will be an explanation of what ‘open source’ means, a ‘historical overview’ and a ‘general’ Q&A session. So let’s begin! Oh, this one may be a bit longer than the previous session; if you need to leave, full details will be online on the Heritage Night blog.

To start with, let’s get a raise of hands: are they any programmers here? /me raises his hand.

So what is open source and what does it mean? In simple terms, it means that the ‘blueprints’ (which are normally proprietary) are freely available for programmers to grab, change and build new programs off of.

Now pay attention; this part may be a bit confusing. Only certain parts of this game are open source. Here is what is and is NOT open source. Cyan has made a plug-in for 3d Max, an expensive piece of 3d modelling software. The plug-in is open source. With the expensive software and plug-in, people can make ages.

The game itself is made out of three basic components: the client, the game assets, and the server. Only one of those, the client, is open source. Normal copyright laws apply to the things that are not open. They can not be shared without permission from Cyan. The assets are: the movies, ages, sounds, and textures that make up the game. Messages and all game progress are saved on the server. The client controls what the player sees and hears and how the player interacts with the world (including puzzle logic). Although a lot of the changes go unnoticed behind the scenes, the game has been improved due to changes to the source code, all made by fans. For example, in a previous version of the game, it was not possible to click on people when in the ‘AFK’ mode.

 

So now the smart people in the audience are probably thinking: “If the server is not open source, how do the shards run?”. The answer is: the shards are run on fan-created servers.

OK, and now some history. On April 6th, 2011, Rand wrote a letter telling the community that open source had arrived and it had. There was great excitement and a few new sections were opened on the Myst Online forums (that were closed later on). At first, Cyan had accidentally released the source code under a license that prevented anyone from distributing the clients they had built. This seems bizarre so let me explain: there are several copy/paste open source licenses you can put on your source code. They had applied a license without taking into account the meaning of one of its clauses.

I don’t want to go into too much detail about this since it’s rather technical, so I will summarise by saying it took a while before the issue was fixed and, in the meantime, only developers who built their own clients could see the changes.

Eventually, it was fixed and soon afterwards the shards were started and some changes were seen in the game. It has always been a slow process getting changes into Cyan’s hands, which has more important business needs to take care of before MOULa stuff (especially now with Obduction on the way).

To make things a bit more confusing, there are two main ‘branches’ of the client. The OpenURU.Org branch and the Guild Of Writers ‘Hack URU’ branch. Why two branches? The basic reason is simple. OpenURU moves at a slow pace and tries to maintain compatibility with Cyan’s custom build system. They don’t change more than a few things at a time and wait for Cyan to accept them before changing more things. There is also a limit to which ‘libraries’( building materials) can be used, as these must also be compatible with the tools Cyan uses. Some people were not satisfied with these conditions and made their own branch (version) of the code. This version is known as the ‘H-uru’ branch. The Gehn shard client is an example of a client that uses this branch.

The last thing I want to talk about is the missing videos. The videos are in a proprietary format created by RAD Game Tools. RAD Game Tools actually found out about Open Source MOULa and were displeased that Cyan had released confidential Bink (the name of the format) code in the project. They threatened Cyan with legal action if they did not fix the issue. All developers were required to remove the offending code and Cyan had to fix the issue ASAP and could not wait for a ‘fan patch’. Cyan’s rushed fix is what causes the bug where: new players must push ‘escape’ after the avatar creation screen to start a new game. How did Cyan make such an oversight? Well, Bink performs two unusual practices when it comes to their licensing model. First of all, they offer each customer a confidential license agreement. Since it’s confidential, Cyan and RAD Game Tools are the only ones who would have a copy. The other thing they did was to take ownership for sample code instead of giving the rights to Cyan, meaning that Cyan could use that sample code, but not distribute it. As far as I know, not even Microsoft or Apple have requirements like this, so Cyan did not expect it. What can we do? Developers are in a discussion right now to find a solution, but like everything in open source MOULa, it’s slow going.

Now for the ‘general’ questions section.

Chat log:

(04/12 15:28:35) Chat.log started…
(04/12 15:28:44)  JamieWithHNKey: Any questions?
(04/12 15:29:00)  radioflux: what does H-uru mean?
(04/12 15:29:24)  Zeke365: Why do you think MOula is slow growing is it because of cyan or fans?
(04/12 15:29:29)  Acorn1: jamie, how does the plug-in work in terms of open source?
(04/12 15:30:03)  I.H.P:Max: one at the time, please…. let him answer
(04/12 15:30:18)  JamieWithHNKey: Yes I’m  no longer copy/pasting so I’m slow
(04/12 15:30:50)  JamieWithHNKey: H-URU is Hack URU(accoding to Adam Joson) it was started so that Adam and some of his buddies at the GoW could hack URU(2003)
(04/12 15:31:04)  radioflux: Ok thanks
(04/12 15:31:26)  JamieWithHNKey: Uru slow growing: I think I missed that sentence
(04/12 15:31:56)  JamieWithHNKey: It since Cyan is busy with other cemmetils stuff like Obudction and RealMyst 2.0
(04/12 15:32:01)  Zeke365: is Moula slow growing because of fans or by cayan?
(04/12 15:32:17)  JamieWithHNKey: Also most programmers are more interseting in working on H-URU
(04/12 15:32:18)  Denizen: Or by cayenne?
(04/12 15:32:32)  Boywhith: Before Obduction is was very slow growing also…
(04/12 15:32:45)  JamieWithHNKey: The plugin is also Open Source, I think I mised that setnece :(
(04/12 15:33:02)  I.H.P:Max: even great Wines and Whisky mature slowly….
(04/12 15:33:14)  Korov’ev: it’s just that at the moment Obduction and realMyst are the priorities
(04/12 15:33:31)  JamieWithHNKey: Korov’eve is correct
(04/12 15:33:35)  Boywhith: At this moment, yes, but 2 years ago?
(04/12 15:33:40)  Acorn1: And the bink problem – the fix caused yet more work
(04/12 15:33:42)  Ben Berry: Does the Cavcon level determine how Uru functions overall?
(04/12 15:33:57)  ~ Kaaja ~: and we often forget that it takes money and time for additions here.. donations are never enough ..helpful but not enough
(04/12 15:33:57)  JamieWithHNKey: Other things where a prioritie at that time
(04/12 15:34:01)  JamieWithHNKey: I hate to say this but
(04/12 15:34:01)  Korov’ev: iOS apps, I guess
(04/12 15:34:14)  JamieWithHNKey: To Cyan MOULa is a ‘hobby’ project
(04/12 15:34:33)  Boywhith: yeah, I agree. But so always something has priority.
(04/12 15:34:45)  JamieWithHNKey: it’s like when your in school, you have to do all your homework before you can play video games
(04/12 15:35:00)  ~ Kaaja ~: :)
(04/12 15:35:01)  Korov’ev: there’s a “setting expectations” post by RAWA about this
(04/12 15:35:09)  JamieWithHNKey: Even if it means you spend 2 weeks doing nothing but homeowrk you still cann’t play video gaems
(04/12 15:35:24) Mister Magic leans left
(04/12 15:35:33)  JamieWithHNKey: Yes there is, RAWA said right when MOULa started that things would be slow going
(04/12 15:35:48)  Boywhith: conclusion, MOULa will hardly change in future.
(04/12 15:36:20)  Korov’ev: long after school is just the same :)
(04/12 15:36:26)  Zeke365: It at least its 4 years running and still running
(04/12 15:36:51)  Boywhith: yeah, but what has changes sinds feb 2010?
(04/12 15:36:55)  I.H.P:Max: ah… but it’s still a place where we, everybody, can meet!
(04/12 15:37:07)  Denizen: The last spark has been fixed
(04/12 15:37:20)  janeerah: mainly, not a lot, Tom
(04/12 15:37:25)  Korov’ev: magic bot?
(04/12 15:37:28)  Zeke365: Eariler version of the social network of today
(04/12 15:37:32)  Boywhith: yeah, that is one thing.
(04/12 15:37:58)  Boywhith: BTW, I don’t want to sound negative. It is wonderful to be here.
(04/12 15:38:11)  JamieWithHNKey: Look under ‘announcements and news’ on the forums for a list of changes
(04/12 15:38:18)  JamieWithHNKey: Here are some notworthy ones:
(04/12 15:38:31)  JamieWithHNKey: – Security fixes provided by the “Grey Hats”
(04/12 15:38:32)  Ben Berry: until the limit reaches 50 then laaaaaag
(04/12 15:38:58)  JamieWithHNKey: (before the fix it was possible to run some code on your local machine)
(04/12 15:39:13)  JamieWithHNKey: Other fixeses
(04/12 15:39:31)  JamieWithHNKey: The name change ‘bevin’ to ‘hood’
(04/12 15:39:51)  radioflux: why did they change the name?
(04/12 15:39:55)  Boywhith: Who care that name change?
(04/12 15:40:15)  JamieWithHNKey: Bevin is the incorrect term
(04/12 15:40:16)  Boywhith: Totally unimportant.
(04/12 15:40:17)  ~ Kaaja ~: i would like to know
(04/12 15:40:18)  Korov’ev: IIRC the hood of illusion happened in 2011
(04/12 15:40:28)  Acorn1: There are some brilliant fan ages – if only they could be incorporated.  Cyan seem supportive of that….but again it’s so slow
(04/12 15:40:29)  Denizen: Every change to canon is significant… IT’s because we’re surfacers lol
(04/12 15:40:29)  ~ Kaaja ~: just curious
(04/12 15:40:37)  JamieWithHNKey: I was going to stick into a Heritage Night so I’ll tell the story!
(04/12 15:40:57)  Ben Berry: besides when you discard the Bevin book from your shelf a relto page appears in your Hood’s age. love the island hopping
(04/12 15:41:06)  Boywhith: sorry, Jamie… go on, please.
(04/12 15:41:19)  Korov’ev: HN derailing is happening again :)
(04/12 15:41:34)  JamieWithHNKey: Ok this is off the top of my head
(04/12 15:42:04)  JamieWithHNKey: In MOULa and maybe the 2007 vestion there was a bug in the Ki where all hoods showed up as ‘Bevin’ which is the first hood the DRC found
(04/12 15:42:27)  radioflux: awkward
(04/12 15:42:34)  JamieWithHNKey: Explorers diden’t like this since it’s like calling all major cities Toronto
(04/12 15:43:06)  JamieWithHNKey: The objection got load enough till the bug was fixed
(04/12 15:43:12)  JamieWithHNKey: (with Open Source)
(04/12 15:44:07)  JamieWithHNKey: Meanwile OOC I THINK the reason Cyan called them all Bevin’s was becasuse Neerbearhood was to long  to fit propory
(04/12 15:44:15)  JamieWithHNKey: on some sceens/interfaceses
(04/12 15:44:47)  Ben Berry: makes sense
(04/12 15:44:50)  JamieWithHNKey: I think it might have been Nearbearhood(or however it’s spelt) in the Beta of one of the URUs
(04/12 15:45:05)  Boywhith: Neighborhood
(04/12 15:45:16)  radioflux: Nearbearhood is brilliant :)
(04/12 15:45:18)  JamieWithHNKey: By the way hoods or NOT instants like other ages, they accuall spots in the cavern
(04/12 15:45:33)  Lady Ellen’s: have you ever tried crowd funding for uru as a supplement?
(04/12 15:45:34) From mTX17: neighborhood :)
(04/12 15:45:45)  LuMagic: wow nice lag
(04/12 15:45:46)  I.H.P:Max: nearbear’s lives in the Hoods
(04/12 15:45:50)  Korov’ev: the full term is used on Gehn
(04/12 15:46:02)  JamieWithHNKey: Cool :)
(04/12 15:46:28)  JamieWithHNKey: Belive it or not I can think of 2 or 3 more Heritage Nights :)
(04/12 15:46:36)  JamieWithHNKey: The neve one will be about the shards
(04/12 15:46:39)  Boywhith: :)
(04/12 15:46:40)  radioflux: bring em on!
(04/12 15:46:43)  I.H.P:Max: yeah… some Hoods have differing KI coordinates
(04/12 15:46:50)  ~ Kaaja ~: there is a difference in the names of the hoods as well…some have bug lamps and some have hands
(04/12 15:47:02)  ~ Kaaja ~: why is that?
(04/12 15:47:02)  Denizen: One is called a Seret
(04/12 15:47:06)  ~ Kaaja ~: there!!
(04/12 15:47:10)  ~ Kaaja ~: thats it
(04/12 15:47:13)  ~ Kaaja ~: but why ?
(04/12 15:47:23)  JamieWithHNKey: Seret is one of the first Hoods the DRC found
(04/12 15:47:24)  Boywhith: don’t forget the heektables. Most are malfunctioned.
(04/12 15:47:26)  Denizen: They’re the older ones
(04/12 15:48:03)  JamieWithHNKey: Was there a question back there I did not answer?
(04/12 15:48:03)  mTX17: boy: because these tables are running on XP :)
(04/12 15:48:24)  Ben Berry: fixing the heek tables must be a really low priority
(04/12 15:48:26)  Boywhith: lol!
(04/12 15:48:27)  JamieWithHNKey: LOL, funny you’d think that at tabet would run Windows 8!
(04/12 15:48:31)  ~ Kaaja ~: i have a question and i’m sure its dumb.. but here goes
(04/12 15:48:36)  Acorn1: Lady Ellen’s question was on crowdsourcing
(04/12 15:49:02)  Acorn1: To raise funds
(04/12 15:49:02)  ~ Kaaja ~: is there old content that was created that was never added here
(04/12 15:49:05)  ~ Kaaja ~: ?
(04/12 15:49:11)  JamieWithHNKey: Oh yes, people have asked that in the past and Cyan has never been up for it, I can’t remember why
(04/12 15:49:21)  Denizen: Most definitely… beyond gira is a great song too
(04/12 15:49:33)  JamieWithHNKey: Poke around on the forums for somone asking about a MOULa kickstarter
(04/12 15:49:47)  Ben Berry: probably would take too many resources from Obduction
(04/12 15:49:50)  Boywhith: splendid idea!
(04/12 15:50:15)  Acorn1: But we can donate via CAVCON
(04/12 15:50:25) From ~ Kaaja ~: is there old content that was never added here??
(04/12 15:50:35)  JamieWithHNKey: Keeja: old contenet, I really don’t know
(04/12 15:50:42)  Boywhith: But that is only enough for the runnig costs…
(04/12 15:50:51)  Boywhith: *running
(04/12 15:50:58)  ~ Kaaja ~: heres another brave question: whens the last time anyone here has donated to the game?
(04/12 15:50:58)  JamieWithHNKey: There are some T-shirts that had to be removed for copyirght reasons and there is no easter egg in the egg room
(04/12 15:51:28)  I.H.P:Max: Ka & Jamie… Rand mentioned some stuff that never madi it into MOULa, when he wisted Kire at some point
(04/12 15:51:34)  radioflux: That would be an Easter Egg Room
(04/12 15:51:43)  Acorn1: Chloe Rhodes is trying to re-incorporate the original content ie the ages that went into Myst 5
(04/12 15:51:45)  Denizen: I have… I think we need to inspire people again to make their alms
(04/12 15:51:45)  Korov’ev: quite a lot, in fact
(04/12 15:51:56)  I.H.P:Max: that might just been Age Concepts, not “ready made” stuff
(04/12 15:52:04)  JamieWithHNKey: The egg room has part of an easter egg in it in URU:CC/URU + PoTS
(04/12 15:52:05)  ~ Kaaja ~: reincorporate it where?
(04/12 15:52:06)  Denizen: concerts have in the past really raised morale and cavcon
(04/12 15:52:24)  Acorn1: a new shard I think
(04/12 15:52:57)  JamieWithHNKey: Last time anyone has donted to the game: I think thatsomething
(04/12 15:53:05)  Boywhith: Cyan must stimulate the donation by doing something.
(04/12 15:53:07)  JamieWithHNKey: ok werid bug where my text disapered
(04/12 15:53:24)  I.H.P:Max: a bit Laggy
(04/12 15:53:26)  JamieWithHNKey: Annyone most people probally don’t want to say when they last donated or how much
(04/12 15:53:26)  ~ Kaaja ~: game cooties
(04/12 15:53:28)  Ben Berry: yeah that happens sometimes
(04/12 15:53:34)  Denizen: I’m certain Cyan is contemplating here, but the energy is going into Obduction
(04/12 15:53:39)  JamieWithHNKey: I’m having no issue with lag but I’m far away from you
(04/12 15:54:03)  ventris: Cyan does not need to do anything. This game is only a vanity project for them
(04/12 15:54:16)  radioflux: like jamie said: MOULs is hobby for Cyan
(04/12 15:54:30)  I.H.P:Max: ah… not vanity, Rand’s Pet Creation!
(04/12 15:54:32)  Boywhith: That is the main problem. MOULa has a (very) low priority for years and that won’t change.
(04/12 15:54:34)  ~ Kaaja ~: we are its hobby.. a social experiment
(04/12 15:54:34)  Denizen: myst was once a hobby :)
(04/12 15:54:51)  Ben Berry: so true
(04/12 15:54:52) LuMagic sneezes
(04/12 15:54:54)  JamieWithHNKey: LOL@Kaaja
(04/12 15:55:00)  I.H.P:Max: I don’t wanna be anybodys “experiment”!
(04/12 15:55:04)  ~ Kaaja ~: YAY us!!
(04/12 15:55:10)  Ben Berry: lab rats
(04/12 15:55:19)  radioflux: I am my own experiment
(04/12 15:55:23) LuMagic sneezes
(04/12 15:55:25)  JamieWithHNKey: <insert Protal joke here>
(04/12 15:55:31)  Denizen: gezundheit
(04/12 15:55:35)  I.H.P:Max: I’ll be Lab Bunnie next week… tha OK?
(04/12 15:55:37)  Boywhith: I am an experiment of the real me, typing this.
(04/12 15:55:45)  Korov’ev: like the Stanford Prison? brrr…
(04/12 15:55:45)  Acorn1: Chocolate bunnie
(04/12 15:55:51)  radioflux: Chocolate Lab Bunny?
(04/12 15:56:21)  Ben Berry: eating cheese
(04/12 15:56:37)  Denizen: chocolate bunny is a great beer
(04/12 15:56:37)  mTX17: i am not a lab rat. the MCP teleported me to the grid
(04/12 15:56:37)  JamieWithHNKey: Ok before we start goofing off, anymore serries questionts?
(04/12 15:56:50)  JamieWithHNKey: LOL@mTX17!
(04/12 15:57:06)  ~ Kaaja ~: IF  and only IF we all gave our 401K and money stuffed in mattresses.. pawned grannys gold teeth..would there EVER be anything added?
(04/12 15:57:26)  I.H.P:Max: aaaaanyways….. yes. You know how many Shards there are atm. Jamie?
(04/12 15:57:28)  ~ Kaaja ~: can it ever be added too
(04/12 15:57:41)  Acorn1: Did you decided to re-run the second half of the fun house HN?
(04/12 15:57:52)  D’lago: The amount of money it takes to seriously fund the development of a game this large is far more than the Uru player base will ever be able to cough up.
(04/12 15:57:58)  JamieWithHNKey: One question at a time!
(04/12 15:58:14)  I.H.P:Max: let him answer…
(04/12 15:58:27)  I.H.P:Max: if he can… heh
(04/12 15:58:34)  JamieWithHNKey: I’m sure if we all give 10000 FRANKS then yes Cyan would add something
(04/12 15:58:40)  JamieWithHNKey: let’s get started
(04/12 15:58:43)  JamieWithHNKey: FRANK!
(04/12 15:58:45)  JamieWithHNKey: FRANK!
(04/12 15:58:47)  JamieWithHNKey: FRANK!
(04/12 15:58:49)  ~ Kaaja ~: frank
(04/12 15:58:50)  mTX17: haha
(04/12 15:58:50)  Ben Berry: noticed a bug with a pillar I have from Kadish tolesa. I try to return it to the alternate cavern but when I magically link there, all I get is a black screen with cursor functions still working to link back to my relto. Any way to fix this?
(04/12 15:59:02)  D’lago: They’d add Frank, the friendly NPC.
(04/12 15:59:11)  ~ Kaaja ~: :)
(04/12 15:59:12)  ventris: lol
(04/12 15:59:15)  mTX17: *g*
(04/12 15:59:16)  JamieWithHNKey: I’ll talk about your bug after the meeting \
(04/12 15:59:16)  Boywhith: No. That is evil Bahro magic.
(04/12 15:59:19)  UGLYDOG: FURT
(04/12 15:59:25)  Acorn1: Oh Chloe’s shard will be called DIRT.. The devblog is on http://www.thedeepcity.com
(04/12 15:59:46)  JamieWithHNKey: Acon1 asked me wather there will be a redo of Part II of last moneths event
(04/12 15:59:53)  ~ Kaaja ~: when will they do the beta for DIRT?
(04/12 15:59:57)  I.H.P:Max: ummm… did you all not attend AGM?
(04/12 16:00:05)  ~ Kaaja ~: ops..sorry jamie
(04/12 16:00:08)  JamieWithHNKey: I will talk to Stone next week and we will see WHEN that will take place
(04/12 16:00:13)  Korov’ev: off topic, people
(04/12 16:00:15)  JamieWithHNKey: It will be after easter offcosue :)
(04/12 16:00:23)  Acorn1: Yay
(04/12 16:00:27)  mTX17: thank you jamie
(04/12 16:00:53)  JamieWithHNKey: Next question, shards
(04/12 16:00:58)  I.H.P:Max: Jaime, a question… if you know how many Shards are “active” and developing stuff?
(04/12 16:01:00)  JamieWithHNKey: There are 5 I know of
(04/12 16:01:05)  I.H.P:Max: ah
(04/12 16:01:14)  JamieWithHNKey: fiveish
(04/12 16:01:18)  JamieWithHNKey: This shard!
(04/12 16:01:19) mTX17 wants to ask a question…
(04/12 16:01:23)  JamieWithHNKey: The Open Cave
(04/12 16:01:38)  JamieWithHNKey: The Lost City Of Adlantis(no new stuff)
(04/12 16:01:51)  JamieWithHNKey: Minkia testing shard(for TESTING)
(04/12 16:02:01)  mTX17: why do the developers not stick their heads and ideas ogether, to create one MOULa or URU or DIRT?
(04/12 16:02:07)  JamieWithHNKey: And my favoirt: The Gehn Shard
(04/12 16:02:10)  mTX17: together
(04/12 16:02:11)  janeerah: afk
(04/12 16:02:56)  JamieWithHNKey: mTX….:  I guess everonye has the own of idea of what people want to do
(04/12 16:02:59)  I.H.P:Max: all heads are not compatible with eachother, mT
(04/12 16:03:06)  mTX17: to combine could end in more benefit for all
(04/12 16:03:10)  JamieWithHNKey: This is a good and a bad ‘problem’ with Open Source
(04/12 16:03:19)  mTX17: okay
(04/12 16:03:21)  Boywhith: May I make a statement, Jamie?
(04/12 16:03:26)  JamieWithHNKey: I mean look at Linux
(04/12 16:03:42)  JamieWithHNKey: There are at least 12 well known Linux distros all slighlty diffrent
(04/12 16:03:47)  mTX17: jamie: i understand your point. but it is not compareable :)
(04/12 16:03:51)  I.H.P:Max: “love thy neighbor” … or thy fellow developer… not always easy
(04/12 16:03:51)  JamieWithHNKey: All that come with sligtly diffrent programs
(04/12 16:04:10)  Ben Berry: What do you think of the fan made version of this in Second Life?
(04/12 16:04:33)  JamieWithHNKey: I don’t know I don’t have Secound Life or care to get into it any time soon
(04/12 16:04:55) I.H.P:Max has never been to SL and never will…
(04/12 16:04:57)  ~ Kaaja ~: SL is not a shard
(04/12 16:05:00)  Acorn1: gehn and TOC do work together, use the same fixes etc
(04/12 16:05:04)  Boywhith: Not a good plan… it will empty the original MOULa.
(04/12 16:05:14)  ~ Kaaja ~: its a social gathering place and nothing more
(04/12 16:05:18)  Boywhith: We mast keep players here.
(04/12 16:05:25)  Korov’ev: there’s also Profound Atoll ;)
(04/12 16:05:27)  Boywhith: *must
(04/12 16:05:33)  mTX17: boy: yes, i agree with you
(04/12 16:05:42)  UGLYDOG: Or Marlboro
(04/12 16:06:06)  Jeyt Crighton: how much programming knowledge does one need to start making changes?
(04/12 16:06:15)  Boywhith: About one year ago, I heard a nice plan, i believe from DTC.
(04/12 16:06:16)  JamieWithHNKey: Good question!
(04/12 16:07:02)  Ben Berry: Have you heard of the Lost Art (Myst) project?
(04/12 16:07:02)  Boywhith: To expand the nexus.
(04/12 16:07:06)  JamieWithHNKey: I would say a lot as the code is not very well documented so you really have to know what your doing
(04/12 16:07:29)  Boywhith: One part: the original MOULa Ages and Hoods.
(04/12 16:07:35)  Jeyt Crighton: thanks
(04/12 16:07:36)  JamieWithHNKey: Jeyt if you want we can speak more aobut this afteweard
(04/12 16:07:44) I.H.P:Max wold emphasis .. really REALLY
(04/12 16:07:48)  Jeyt Crighton: sounds good
(04/12 16:07:53)  Boywhith: Second part links to all  ‘finished ‘ fan Ages!
(04/12 16:08:21)  Korov’ev: Sevkor, basically?
(04/12 16:08:23)  Boywhith: So all include, but separate from eachother, in MOULa!
(04/12 16:08:30)  JamieWithHNKey: Next question
(04/12 16:09:51)  I.H.P:Max: all in all, what ever we wish for …. Cyan and Only Cyan, can implement it into MOULa
(04/12 16:09:55)  ~ Kaaja ~: who brought pizza?
(04/12 16:10:13)  D’lago: I think Tom was supposed to bring the pizza.
(04/12 16:10:17)  Boywhith: I agree, Max.
(04/12 16:10:23) JamieWithHNKey looks around for the pizza guy
(04/12 16:10:37)  ~ Kaaja ~: whelp!  donations for pizza
(04/12 16:10:38)  JamieWithHNKey: I’ll be back
(04/12 16:10:47)  Denizen: lol
(04/12 16:10:51)  Boywhith: Jamie goes for pizza’s.
(04/12 16:11:11)  Ben Berry: has to keep up his strength
(04/12 16:11:21)  JamieWithHNKey: HO HO HO! Happy Easter! I have the Pizza!
(04/12 16:11:42)  JamieWithHNKey: HO HO HO!
(04/12 16:11:48)  I.H.P:Max: come and discuss all creative ideas you have than
(04/12 16:11:49) JamieWithHNKey delviers Pizza at the door!
(04/12 16:11:49)  Korov’ev: the easter chocolate pizza
(04/12 16:11:51)  Ben Berry: Santa?
(04/12 16:12:04)  radioflux: anyway, gtg
(04/12 16:12:04)  ~ Kaaja ~: hey jamie?
(04/12 16:12:06)  Acorn1: yum,thanks Jamie
(04/12 16:12:07)  Boywhith: Thanks, Jamie :))
(04/12 16:12:10)  JamieWithHNKey: Yes Santa! Why not!
(04/12 16:12:21)  radioflux: every HN teaches me something new – thanks Jamie!
(04/12 16:12:22)  ~ Kaaja ~: can i mention something here?
(04/12 16:12:35)  JamieWithHNKey: No problem radioflux!
(04/12 16:12:52) From ~ Kaaja ~: can i mention about an event?
(04/12 16:13:12) To ~ Kaaja ~: mention what about it?
(04/12 16:13:13)  ~ Kaaja ~: i want to see if we can get all shard creators there
(04/12 16:13:16)  ~ Kaaja ~: ops
(04/12 16:13:18) I.H.P:Max is waiting …. Ka?
(04/12 16:13:33)  ~ Kaaja ~: asking jamie if i can have a moment
(04/12 16:13:40) To Christian Walther: Arn’t you one of the programmers form OpenURU.Org?
(04/12 16:13:42)  ~ Kaaja ~: <.<
(04/12 16:13:55)  ~ Kaaja ~: cuz we are talking about shards and OOC
(04/12 16:13:55) From Christian Walther: yep, both OU and H-uru
(04/12 16:14:06)  I.H.P:Max: that would be great if we can get all of the gathered!
(04/12 16:14:08) To Christian Walther: Can I tell eveyone that your here?
(04/12 16:14:13) From Christian Walther: sure
(04/12 16:14:22)  I.H.P:Max: but can they be in the same room, all at once??
(04/12 16:14:24)  ~ Kaaja ~: on the 24th the IH will have an open house of sorts to invite all who do things inspired by the game
(04/12 16:14:46)  JamieWithHNKey: Ehem Christian Walther, one of the URU developers is here, if you want to ask him nerdy stuff about the code you could
(04/12 16:15:05)  Christian Walther: I can’t promise I’ll be able to answer though :)
(04/12 16:15:19)  I.H.P:Max: 24th of April….. International’s Hood!
(04/12 16:15:27)  Christian Walther: I’m far from an expert on Plasma.
(04/12 16:15:46)  JamieWithHNKey: Oh yes one more thing!
(04/12 16:16:11)  UGLYDOG: universal insatisfaction, females need to control someone to be happy
(04/12 16:16:46)  ~ Kaaja ~: that was random O.o
(04/12 16:16:50)  Locarno: How ture
(04/12 16:16:53)  JamieWithHNKey: Anyone want to have a ‘privateish’ session with one of the ‘Plasma explerts’(i.e. AdamJoson), if your interesting let me know and I’ll see IF I can get a hold of one
(04/12 16:17:05)  I.H.P:Max: hmm… my Ignore List seems empty
(04/12 16:17:42)  Boywhith: Keep it that way, Max :)
(04/12 16:18:33)  JamieWithHNKey: Ok I now offically call this meeting to close, thank you everyone for comeing if you want to speak with my in private I’ll be by the fountian
(04/12 16:18:37) …Chat.log stopped.

 

Heritage Night 4: Open Source

Hello Heritage Night 4: ‘Open Source’ will be April 12th at 13 Ki time. This event will be strictly OOC. Seen you then.

Hertiage Night III

Here is what I said at the last Heritage night. Things in italics are a description of what happened, not of what I said.

 

Hello everyone, and welcome to the third “new” Heritage Night. Today, I’m going to talk to you about some unusual events that took place in the cavern. These events led to the creation of two ‘hoods’: this one, and The Fun House. Before we begin, it’s interesting to note that ‘The Hood Of Illusionists’ was the first ‘hood,’ as before that they were called ‘Bevins’, an incorrect term. Tonight, I will not just be talking about events, but will show you them as well. My assistant, ‘Stone,’ will be helping me with the magic as I narrate.

 

To begin, we need to move everyone to a version of the city where we can demonstrate what people saw. Stone will now ‘transform’ the ‘egg-room’ doors into teleporters that will take you where you need to go.

 

People went to the egg-room and were teleported to the city. When everyone arrived, Jamie began narrating again.

 

In May of 2010, a Bahro appeared in the cavern with the name “NotABeast”.

 

And as if commanded to do so, a Bahro with that name came to greet people.

 

 The word ‘Bahro’ means “beastman” and people thought this was a sign that ‘Bahro’ no longer wanted to be called that any more. People came up with an alternative name Vachro (or some version in spelling), meaning ‘linking people’. Dr.Watson told everyone on the DRC forum that the Bahro were not offended by their name and that NotABeast was just a person in a realistic costume. The ‘real’ Bahro do not like the costume and he advised people not to do this any more.

 

And with that, the Bahro vanished.

 

Later on, in February 2011, on Rand’s birthday, strange things started happening. While people were talking to Rand, fog of different colours appeared.

 

Fog of all sorts of colours appeared.

 

As if by magic, Kerath’s arch appeared by the lake at the bottom of the great stairs.

 

Jamie points and everyone walks to see what had happened.

 

The Bahro started swarming around it.

 

Bahro flew in and swarmed around the misplaced arch.

 

 

 

As if this were not odd enough, people began to fly through the air. Personally, I get sick when people do this to me so I’m going to AFK; if you don’t want to be thrown into the air, I suggest you do the same.

 

People fell from great heights – much higher then can be reached by jumping.

 

There were even reports of people saying things without meaning to.

 

Everyone in the age received a Kimail that read, “I hate Heritage Night’. It appeared to come from Jamie, but it really came from Stone5.

 

What evil had fallen over the cavern? Was it the return of the Bahro or something worse? The DRC locked themselves in a discussion on what to do for days. Most people thought it was pranksters, but feared the pranks had gone too far and it would be the end of the cavern as we know it.

 

The DRC finally came to a decision after many weeks. The DRC felt it was wise to continue cavern operations, but create two hoods: ‘The Fun House’ – where these ‘pranks’ can happen at any time, and ‘The Hood Of Illusions,’ reserved for shows like this. The idea behind these hoods is to give a place for pranksters to ‘play’ without disturbing others. These pranksters [hackers OOC]  became known as ‘The Gray Hats’ since their pranks are not used for evil, but not everyone likes them (so they can’t be considered ‘good’ either.)

 

The Gray Hats follow a strict set of rules set out by themselves and the DRC. The most important ones are: not hacking people without permission and only hacking things in the designated areas.

 

Thank you.  Any questions?

 

Finally we will return to the hood for a ‘magic’ show.

Hertige Night III

Shorah everyone! Hertige Night III will take place on Sunday March 9th at 3:10 PM EDT[13 Ki time]. This months topic is “The creation of ‘The Fun House’” and the event will take place in The Hood Of Illusions, a place where people can ‘hack’ the game in authorized ways. What lead to the creation of such a place? Come to the event and you will SEE for youreself.Keep in mind that Dalyligth Savings Time starts that day, keeps this in mind so you don’t come at the wrong time.

Heritage Night II

Here is the speach I wrote and persented at heritage night:

Hello. Today I’m going to be talking about OHB (or Orange Hair Boy) and his robots. Before we begin, I have a script this time which I am copy/pasting from. Since I can’t run the game in a window, I will have to alt-tab in and out, so I may miss things happening in cavern. With that said, let us begin:
Soon after MOULa opened, I found a hood named “The Guild of Robots”. Interested, I went in. There were two people in the hood. One of them called himself “OHB”; the other, “OHBot”. OHBot was a robot created by OHB, who had a striking resemblance to his creator. OHBot was in very early stages of development. Most of the things I said to him, he did not understand and said something like:
“I don’t know what you said; I’ll let OHB know, so he can fix the problem.” [Of course, with my spelling, I got this more than other people and OHB was ‘spying’ on my conversation and kept telling me how to correctly spell things so that OHBot would understand.” If I only knew, at that point, that OHBot would be become a big thing! I left and continued my duties around cavern.
As time passed, OHBot became a lot more advanced. You could ask him many things and he had many responses. For example, you could ask him “OHBot, what it your favorite color?” and he would say “Orange”. If you threw something at him, he would set his “phasers to 100% and destroy the object” or “duck out of the way faster than you can see”. There was a lot of silly stuff like that, but also a lot of useful stuff as well. He could tell you the weather, calculate a puzzle answer and translate phrases into different languages. (I will give more on this in a bit).
But it was not all good for OHB! A lot of people felt that the cavern was no place for robots! I don’t wish to dwell too much on the controversy, so I will sum it up as follows:

Rand saw OHBot at an event and said he was entertaining, OHB then soon realized that his robot was against the Code of Conduct. Since Rand liked him, he decided to get special permission to run OHBot in the cavern. So whether people liked him or hated him, he was there to stay.
Now back to the translations. OHB added the translation function for fun. He did not realize how useful it would be. When they were added, people were Ki mailing their buddies, who did not speak that much English and were telling them to get into the “Guild of Robots”.  The only problem was that you had to be in the same room as OHBot for him to do the translation and it had to be public, so the chat was covered in translations.
[OHB made a tool called Bablebot, which ran in front of a windowed MOULa client and translated what people said (between two languages). I’m not sure if it still works. Work on Bablebot inspired OHB to start a new project: GULP, a project to make fan translations (localizations) of MOULa and Riven.]
Now two more things:
On July 10th, 2010, a BOMB created by OHB’s arch-nemesis appeared in cavern. He had the appearance of an older man and was programmed with lines from Starship Titanic which he spoke out loud.  The nemesis had captured OHB and was holding him in the nemesis’s Relto (without his Relto book, but with his Ki, oddly). On the forums, AgeExplorer wrote about what was going on, including the Ki mail he received from OHB. It was a coded message to deactivate the bomb. Explorers had to figure out how to decode it, which eventually they did. The cavern was packed the whole time and most explorers could not get in to see what was going on. Fortunately, explorers managed to crack the code and save the day. Those who did not get to see the BOMB got one more chance to see him in a hood, in which he was in a disarmed state.
Finally: what happened to OHBot? Did the controversy get to him? Did OHBot get too hard to maintain? NO! OHB simply moved onto other things. In fact, we may even see him someday. When, I cannot say! tEST
Now the man himself will arrive soon to talk about his experience with OHBot.

OHB cold come and here is a chatlog of what he wrote:

(01/18 15:44:26)  OHB: thanks, excitied to be here :)
(01/18 15:45:14)  OHB: and i’ll apologize up-front if i seem a little “off” this afternoon. i had to go to the ER earlier for some back pain and now i have some super awesome meds :)
(01/18 15:45:37)  OHB: And thanks, Jamie, for your introduction
(01/18 15:45:38)  Korov’ev: ouch…
(01/18 15:45:41)  Calum Traveler: hehe, it’s been one of those months, it seems XD
(01/18 15:45:44)  JamieWithHNKey: No problem!
(01/18 15:46:06)  OHB: well, i’m not sure if there’s a format here or anything
(01/18 15:46:16)  OHB: i suppose we could go with Q&A
(01/18 15:46:42)  JamieWithHNKey: I was hopeing you would talk about it about your stuff, tell us how you came up with them, etc
(01/18 15:46:45)  OHB: and perhaps i’ll tell stories as they relate to questions i get
(01/18 15:46:48)  OHB: sure
(01/18 15:46:58)  OHB: first of all, if i use voice can everyone hear me?
(01/18 15:47:05) To OHB: (maybe inviate OHbot in himself)
(01/18 15:47:07)  Calum Traveler: um…no,
(01/18 15:47:12)  Zeke365: nope
(01/18 15:47:14)  Calum Traveler: lemme check my settings…
(01/18 15:47:14)  OHB: no? hmm
(01/18 15:47:22)  OHB: it’s probably my settings
(01/18 15:47:24)  Calum Traveler: nope, enabled…
(01/18 15:47:30)  Calum Traveler: probably. VC is one of those pesky things.
(01/18 15:47:43)  Zeke365: nothing
(01/18 15:47:43)  OHB: how about that time? if not, i’ll type
(01/18 15:47:44)  Calum Traveler: still nothin’…
(01/18 15:47:45)  Boywhith: I can, but sound quality is often poor.
(01/18 15:47:46)  OHB: ah well
(01/18 15:47:47)  OHB: ok
(01/18 15:48:01)  OHB: so, i guess it all starts with OHBot.
(01/18 15:48:17)  OHB: And you’ll notice a trend with all of my things:
(01/18 15:48:30)  OHB: 1. It was for fun – primarily for my own enjoyment and challenge
(01/18 15:48:43)  OHB: 2. I never anticipate where things will end up going
(01/18 15:48:59)  OHB: So, OHBot was just a pet project to see what I could make happen
(01/18 15:49:32)  OHB: as Jamie mentioned, it started off very basic. So basic that originally you could just give it basic commands to do things like walk or speak
(01/18 15:49:56)  JamieWithHNKey: (oh yeah the speatch was cool! :))
(01/18 15:49:58)  OHB: it wasn’t until i later had the idea of integrating it with a chat program that things started to get interesting
(01/18 15:50:34)  OHB: i got a copy of ALICE from the internet, integrated it and within a couple of hours OHBot was now ALICE
(01/18 15:50:53)  OHB: and that was fun, but ALICE and it’s underlying technology wasn’t enough – it was very limiting
(01/18 15:51:07)  OHB: so, i took that as a starting point and made my own
(01/18 15:51:13)  OHB: over the course of months
(01/18 15:51:26)  OHB: OHBot as ya’ll might remember him was born
(01/18 15:51:32)  OHB: actually, how many of you have met OHBot?
(01/18 15:51:36)  Calum Traveler: me!
(01/18 15:51:39)  Calum Traveler: :33
(01/18 15:51:40)  Boywhith: I have…
(01/18 15:51:45)  OHB: how many of you haven’t?
(01/18 15:51:52)  Acorn1: i haven’t
(01/18 15:51:52) Cpt. Jericho remembers all those Chuck Norris jokes
(01/18 15:51:57)  DbeMagic: me
(01/18 15:51:58)  Len555: me
(01/18 15:52:00)  Zeke365: not me
(01/18 15:52:01) ~ Kaaja ~ raises her hand
(01/18 15:52:02)  OHB: haha oh yeah the chuck norris jokes
(01/18 15:52:26)  OHB: right, so OHBot was just another avatar except instead of a human at the keyboard, there was a computer program
(01/18 15:52:40)  OHB: as time went on i wanted to push the limits to see what i could get him to do
(01/18 15:53:03)  OHB: the translations part that Jamie mentioned was a big one
(01/18 15:53:20)  OHB: although, as is typical, i didn’t quite appreciate how big it would be
(01/18 15:53:37)  OHB: it only took an hour to get working using the Google Translation API (since deprecated)
(01/18 15:54:00)  Calum Traveler: (Google!!/shakefist)
(01/18 15:54:08)  OHB: but news spread fast and lots of explorers that didn’t speak English started pouring out of the woodwork
(01/18 15:54:34)  OHB: i hadn’t really appreciated the sheer number of non-English speaking explorers until then
(01/18 15:54:57)  OHB: that gave way to other projects like URU BabelBot and ULP (later renamed GULP)
(01/18 15:55:25)  OHB: By this time, OHBot was popular in circles, but there wasn’t a general awareness of his existence.
(01/18 15:55:55)  OHB: Not until there was a complaint in a forum post and thanks to the Barbara Streisand Effect, he became famous overnight
(01/18 15:56:28)  OHB: I’ll skip around here and quickly talk about URU BabelBot and GULP
(01/18 15:57:09)  OHB: So, to address the multicultural aspect of the cavern, I created URU BabelBot which allowed users to use a Windows program that sat on top of the URU window to translate text
(01/18 15:57:29)  OHB: The text translation was largely automatic and working for 14 languages all via Google which made it super fast.
(01/18 15:58:00)  OHB: But, then, there was all of the content of the game. If you don’t speak English, you don’t get to read all of the fantastic journals
(01/18 15:58:09)  OHB: So, ULP was born to address that problem
(01/18 15:58:36)  OHB: now renamed GULP, it’s a system where people can submit translations of content in the game in other languages for peer-review
(01/18 15:59:16)  OHB: I initially made the first sets of translated journals available through URU BabelBot, but getting them into MOUL is a different challenge…something the GOW is still working on.
(01/18 15:59:36)  OHB: Then, there’s the BOMB. That was fun.
(01/18 15:59:48) Calum Traveler giggles in agreement
(01/18 15:59:50)  OHB: I guess it was more of an experiment to see what could be done in the cavern.
(01/18 16:00:19)  JamieWithHNKey: [I was one of the people who could not get into see the BOMB, but I did see him latter]
(01/18 16:00:35)  JamieWithHNKey: [:(]
(01/18 16:00:41)  OHB: I didn’t realize it at the time, but it was basically considered “new content” for MOUL
(01/18 16:00:51)  OHB: even though it only lasted a day
(01/18 16:01:20)  OHB: I advertised ahead of time that “Nothing will be happenning in the city on [date] at [time]“
(01/18 16:01:43)  OHB: and by this time i had a pretty good reputation for pushing the envelope i guess so people turned up
(01/18 16:01:56)  OHB: there was a whole story with a small cast of characters
(01/18 16:02:17)  OHB: the city was filled to capacity for over 6 hours straight…something i didn’t imagine would happen.
(01/18 16:02:47)  OHB: We had to hack in the characters in order to bypass the population limits on the city just to keep the thing going.
(01/18 16:03:04)  OHB: it was the first time one of my robots “spoke” out loud via interaction
(01/18 16:03:29)  OHB: all in all, despite the occational greifer and complaint, i regard it as a huge hilarious success
(01/18 16:03:57)  OHB: MOUL:Stats was a side-project which was my own challenge to learn more about using the back-end systems.
(01/18 16:04:07)  OHB: If you’ve heard of the “vault” – that’s what i’m talking about here.
(01/18 16:04:34)  OHB: I had been playing with it and seeing what i could do with it for a while, but because of the dangerous nature of those tools, they were never for public consumption.
(01/18 16:04:45)  OHB: but, i wanted to find a way to take data from there and make it public
(01/18 16:05:24)  OHB: MOUL:Stats was born, and while it was short-lived, it gathered statistical information about MOUL from the vault and turned it into graphs and stuff.
(01/18 16:05:39) Calum Traveler claps his hands
(01/18 16:05:41)  OHB: It was pretty cool the types of things that people started to find as they sifted through the aggregated data
(01/18 16:05:52)  OHB: and a number of mysteries were discovered too
(01/18 16:06:17)  OHB: And finally, i should talk about the Grey Hats, The Fun House, and the Hood of Illusions.
(01/18 16:06:38)  OHB: Did you know that the word Illusion in English comes from a word that means “fun”? :) Fun!
(01/18 16:07:15)  OHB: we had been playing around already with some cool tools that let us make modifications to the environment. All temporary, of course, but still fun things
(01/18 16:07:34)  OHB: This got larger attention from Cyan with whom we had maintained a good relationship i’d say
(01/18 16:07:58)  OHB: all of this happened right when the open source talks had just started
(01/18 16:08:17)  OHB: so, we needed to find a balance between good hacking and bad hacking, and where hacks happened and where they didn’t
(01/18 16:08:35)  OHB: we drafted a proposal to Cyan to govern future hacking which they accepted
(01/18 16:08:48)  OHB: And The Fun House and the Hood of Illusions were born
(01/18 16:08:57) To ~ Kaaja ~: Fair enough, you diden’t ask me and I just say you running around in front of me on stage
(01/18 16:09:05)  OHB: those of us at the GoW who were involved were known as the Grey Hats.
(01/18 16:09:24)  JamieWithHNKey: [TFH and THOI will be tlaked about in a future Heritage Night....
(01/18 16:09:25)  OHB: and generally, that's what i've been involved with here.
(01/18 16:09:31)  OHB: awesome
(01/18 16:09:48)  JamieWithHNKey: there may even be magic(in the hood offcouse)
(01/18 16:10:05)  OHB: So, there's lots of stories and details left out because it could take decades to tell all of the stories, so I will open it up to Questions
(01/18 16:10:17)  JamieWithHNKey: Thank you once again OHB! And thank you for all your had work!
(01/18 16:10:25) Acorn1 claps her hands
(01/18 16:10:27) Boywhith claps his hands
(01/18 16:10:27) Calum Traveler claps his hands
(01/18 16:10:27)  ~ Kaaja ~: can we have Q and A??
(01/18 16:10:28) tkol17 claps his hands
(01/18 16:10:29)  OHB: Feel free to ask about past/present/future/me in/out of the cavern, etc
(01/18 16:10:33) DbeMagic claps her hands
(01/18 16:10:34)  Len555: i have a question
(01/18 16:10:43)  JamieWithHNKey: i will post relative links on the Heritage Night site after the meeting
(01/18 16:10:45)  OHB: go ahead Len
(01/18 16:10:49)  JamieWithHNKey: (as well as my oringal script)
(01/18 16:10:59)  Calum Traveler: :)
(01/18 16:11:01)  ~ Kaaja ~: thanks jamie
(01/18 16:11:06)  JamieWithHNKey: please PM me or OHB with your quesitonts
(01/18 16:11:10)  JamieWithHNKey: oh!
(01/18 16:11:12)  Len555: With google out of the picture, what is the limitations in  moula when trying to put a front end translator on it
(01/18 16:11:27)  Len555: sorry looked up to late
(01/18 16:11:46)  OHB: Well, the original Google Translation API was deprecated, but it was replaced by a new improved but paid one
(01/18 16:11:56)  OHB: however, the prices are super super cheap.
(01/18 16:12:08)  OHB: something like 20 million words for US$1.00
(01/18 16:12:22)  OHB: so, it's not really an obstacle
(01/18 16:12:27)  ~ Kaaja ~: wow
(01/18 16:12:29)  Korov'ev: I think glosbe is free, though it's a bit limited...
(01/18 16:12:31)  Cpt. Jericho: Still a lot of money considering the output quality
(01/18 16:12:38)  Len555: ok so it can be done , just a matter of cyan, and fan support?
(01/18 16:13:04)  OHB: in fact, the last version of BabelBot I made used the new one and i kept getting bills from Google for $0.00 because we hadn't translated enough for it to be a penny lol
(01/18 16:13:22)  JamieWithHNKey: lOL
(01/18 16:13:25)  OHB: actually integrating translation into the client is a whole other beast
(01/18 16:13:48)  JamieWithHNKey: I think that will take some work from Cyan as well
(01/18 16:13:59)  OHB: Jamie (and I'm sure many of you) are wondering if OHBot will make an appearance tonight
(01/18 16:14:22) To OHB: Sh! it was supposed to be a supprise :(
(01/18 16:14:53)  OHB: I really wanted to get him in here for this meeting because OHBot is always fun. However, given my current condition (like, i couldn't get out of bed this morning) it was not possible for me to do so today.
(01/18 16:15:18)  JamieWithHNKey: Oh well maybe anouther time :)
(01/18 16:15:22)  OHB: But, I will, when I can move, find his computer, get it setup, and try to bring him in for a week or something
(01/18 16:15:28)  OHB: and i'll announce it on the forums
(01/18 16:15:34)  Calum Traveler: :)
(01/18 16:15:34) Korov'ev cheers
(01/18 16:15:36)  OHB: so, not today, but at some point soon he'll be here
(01/18 16:15:39) JamieWithHNKey cheers
(01/18 16:15:46)  Acorn1: Thank you!
(01/18 16:15:49)  Calum Traveler: it'll be good to see the bot again,
(01/18 16:15:57)  Calum Traveler: always nice to see familiar faces once in a while :)
(01/18 16:15:58)  ~ Kaaja ~: :)
(01/18 16:15:58)  Boywhith: yeah, nice!
(01/18 16:16:00)  OHB: i might even bring the BOMB in for some explosive fun
(01/18 16:16:02)  OHB: :)
(01/18 16:16:04)  Cpt. Jericho: I still have it buddied.
(01/18 16:16:10)  Boywhith: wow...
(01/18 16:16:12)  OHB: alright, next question?
(01/18 16:16:13)  JamieWithHNKey: There you have it folks OHBot is comeing back fora bit
(01/18 16:16:30)  Calum Traveler: Not really a question, but Like I just said, it's great to see you again, OHB,
(01/18 16:16:35)  OHB: likewise!
(01/18 16:16:40)  Calum Traveler: :)
(01/18 16:16:45)  OHB: good to see a number of familiar names in here :)
(01/18 16:17:10)  ~ Kaaja ~: :)
(01/18 16:17:22)  ~ Kaaja ~: and new ones as well
(01/18 16:17:24) From Kobresia: Hi, I have a question.
(01/18 16:17:43)  OHB: Len asked about contact information. My email address is [under the chat log]. You can find me on Facebook or G+ or email me. :)
(01/18 16:17:47)  JamieWithHNKey: Kobresia has a question!
(01/18 16:17:55)  Kobresia: thanks
(01/18 16:17:56)  OHB: yes, also nice to see new names
(01/18 16:18:05) From Acorn1: can you comment on how OHBot differs from Lyrobot – I have seen him but not OHBot
(01/18 16:18:20)  OHB: ok Kobresia, what’s your question?
(01/18 16:18:31)  Kobresia: Which languages will be support BabelBot?
(01/18 16:18:45) To Acorn1: Question qued up, it will be answerd in a moment
(01/18 16:19:10)  OHB: ah, good question. so, i haven’t released a new version of BabelBot for a long time
(01/18 16:19:20)  OHB: Last I checked it supported like 14 languages.
(01/18 16:19:45)  JamieWithHNKey: Diden’t it also have a text-to-speach thinig
(01/18 16:19:46)  OHB: Theoretically, there’s no reason that all languages can’t be supported.
(01/18 16:20:07)  OHB: However, there’s a current client limitation so you can only type Latin letters in the chat.
(01/18 16:20:19)  OHB: So, there goes Arabic, Japanese, Korean, Thai, etc.
(01/18 16:20:37) To OHB: doesen’t the client now support Unicode?
(01/18 16:20:40)  ~ Kaaja ~: all those pretty fonts
(01/18 16:20:48)  OHB: yes, BabelBot also had text-to-speech. that was added because there was a visually impared person who requested it
(01/18 16:20:56) From OHB: does it?
(01/18 16:20:59)  Calum Traveler: (and also the english keys that URU doesnt like for some reason)
(01/18 16:21:08) To OHB: I belivce so!
(01/18 16:21:09)  OHB: at least, the client didn’t support Unicode before…it might now
(01/18 16:21:28) To OHB: I don’t think wher doing anything with it but I think it’s there
(01/18 16:21:32)  Korov’ev: clients on shards do
(01/18 16:21:42)  Korov’ev: but the font is limited
(01/18 16:21:44)  OHB: ah, well there’s two things at work there
(01/18 16:21:56)  OHB: one is fonts, the other is the underlying messaging mechanism
(01/18 16:22:01)  OHB: the back-end supports Unicode
(01/18 16:22:17)  OHB: the front-end uses Plasma P2F fonts
(01/18 16:22:25)  OHB: which can only support 256 characters
(01/18 16:22:46)  Korov’ev: west-european languages, basically
(01/18 16:22:46)  OHB: Part of GULP was making new fonts for URU
(01/18 16:23:04)  OHB: mostly
(01/18 16:23:10)  OHB: you can support Thai with that
(01/18 16:23:16)  JamieWithHNKey: Basiclly yes Koov’ve euopean langauges only
(01/18 16:23:42)  OHB: i did make some new fonts for URU for things like Hungarian and Thai which worked when seriously hacked in
(01/18 16:23:55)  Boywhith: sorry, have to go… it was very interesting!
(01/18 16:24:01)  OHB: but yeah, there are limits. But, it’s something that the GoW is working on
(01/18 16:24:02)  Calum Traveler: (Later, tom)
(01/18 16:24:09)  OHB: Take care @Boywhith
(01/18 16:24:24)  radioflux: see you  boy
(01/18 16:24:27)  ~ Kaaja ~: bye tom
(01/18 16:24:28)  JamieWithHNKey: thank you for comeing Boywidth, hope to see you latter
(01/18 16:24:38)  lisa-maria: dag tom
(01/18 16:24:43)  OHB: i could talk for days about localization in URU…if anyone wants more, let’s have a chat on the surface via email or something
(01/18 16:24:48) From Boywhith: Sure come the next time…
(01/18 16:24:57)  OHB: next question?
(01/18 16:25:14)  ~ Kaaja ~: :)
(01/18 16:25:15)  lisa-maria: tot later weer!
(01/18 16:25:18)  JamieWithHNKey: Acron1 wanted me to talk about OHBot VS Lyrobot
(01/18 16:25:35)  OHB: ah sure, yeah. Lyrobot!
(01/18 16:25:43)  JamieWithHNKey: Lryobot does take some ideas from OHBot like the Ki directly
(01/18 16:25:49)  JamieWithHNKey: directory
(01/18 16:25:55) From Calum Traveler: that gave me an idea of a question,
(01/18 16:25:57) From Calum Traveler: heh…
(01/18 16:26:19)  JamieWithHNKey: Butt Lrybot does not do the same things as OHBot
(01/18 16:26:34) To Calum Traveler: I read you, your question is qued up
(01/18 16:26:39)  OHB: although i should point out that the KI Directory is a separate thing than OHBot. OHBot consumes it the same way Lyrobot does
(01/18 16:27:36)  JamieWithHNKey: They servec diffrent propesis
(01/18 16:27:49)  OHB: indeed. OHBot was a chat bot and provided services via chat.
(01/18 16:28:11)  JamieWithHNKey: While Lyrobot is meant to contorl The Fun House
(01/18 16:28:16)  OHB: Lyrobot was created to provide a way for anyone to apply hacks to the Fun House by giving Lyrobot commands instead of doing all the hackery yourself
(01/18 16:28:40)  JamieWithHNKey: He can NOT tell you the weather, or a chuck norries joke or anything like that
(01/18 16:28:51)  radioflux: pity ;)
(01/18 16:29:05)  OHB: I’ve always looked at OHBot and the BOMB as explorations of what was possible in the cavern using what we had to work with. (Pre open-source days)
(01/18 16:29:06)  ~ Kaaja ~: but still a lot of fun and efforts appreciated
(01/18 16:29:30)  OHB: OHBot proved you could bring in some advanced functionality albeit through an “aware” avatar
(01/18 16:29:44)  OHB: BOMB proved you could use that for puzzles
(01/18 16:29:50)  JamieWithHNKey: I’ll tell you what(here is some insentive to get OHBot up next week), why don’t you see OHBot yourself when OHB bring him up next week :)
(01/18 16:30:05)  OHB: it’s up to others to come up with more ideas and do your own thing.
(01/18 16:30:07)  ~ Kaaja ~: :)
(01/18 16:30:34)  OHB: yeah, i’ll bring OHBot in. I won’t PROMISE that it’ll be next week, but I was AIM for next weekend.
(01/18 16:30:35)  JamieWithHNKey: I have not confermed this but I’m sure the current bots where inspired by OHbots succsess
(01/18 16:30:56)  OHB: yeah. I actually helped him created Lyrobot :)
(01/18 16:30:59)  JamieWithHNKey: Does this anwwer your question Acron1?
(01/18 16:31:14)  Acorn1: yes thanks, looking forward to seeing OHBot!
(01/18 16:31:20)  JamieWithHNKey: Great
(01/18 16:31:24)  OHB: next question?
(01/18 16:31:27)  JamieWithHNKey: Calum you had a question
(01/18 16:31:33)  Calum Traveler: semi-related question to the previous discussion,
(01/18 16:31:39)  Calum Traveler: you sort of touched on it there, Jamie,
(01/18 16:31:42)  JamieWithHNKey: Go for it!
(01/18 16:32:00)  Calum Traveler: so, OHB, how does it feel to have inspired a whole line of Bots?
(01/18 16:32:12)  OHB: it feels weird at best lol
(01/18 16:32:17)  ~ Kaaja ~: you should be very proud
(01/18 16:32:19)  Calum Traveler: ^u^
(01/18 16:32:19)  OHB: any of you know Paradox?
(01/18 16:32:29) ~ Kaaja ~ shakes her head
(01/18 16:32:31)  Calum Traveler: vaguely,
(01/18 16:32:35)  JamieWithHNKey: No, but I’ve heard of him
(01/18 16:32:46)  Calum Traveler: (in a sort of…timey wimey sense. XD)
(01/18 16:32:49)  JamieWithHNKey: And I think he was in the “Gehn Shard” update video
(01/18 16:32:53) Cpt. Jericho is too old to remember
(01/18 16:32:59)  ~ Kaaja ~: :)
(01/18 16:33:00)  OHB: he doesn’t come in very often but he was a Grey Hat and is very involved in GoW and making improvements to MOUL
(01/18 16:33:26)  OHB: I was in Vancouver last week on a business trip and I met up with him for drinks.
(01/18 16:33:38)  JamieWithHNKey: cool :)
(01/18 16:33:44)  ~ Kaaja ~: beer pong?
(01/18 16:33:50)  ~ Kaaja ~: jk :)
(01/18 16:33:52)  OHB: I told him that Jamie had asked me to do this Heritage Night and he chuckled and said
(01/18 16:34:12)  OHB: “I’ve been doing URU stuff for a decade, and YOU’RE now ‘Heritage’?”
(01/18 16:34:21)  OHB: which…is totally funny and true and sad
(01/18 16:34:38) Cpt. Jericho hums a tune for unsung heroes
(01/18 16:34:45) ~ Kaaja ~ laughs
(01/18 16:34:46)  OHB: I never went into any of this stuff thinking that i was going to have a lasting impact on things
(01/18 16:34:47) Calum Traveler hums along…
(01/18 16:34:49) <sniffle> ~ Kaaja ~ is sad
(01/18 16:34:56)  Calum Traveler: none of us ever do, OHB,
(01/18 16:35:00) ~ Kaaja ~ and laughs again
(01/18 16:35:07)  Acorn1: Invite paradox in, Jamie!
(01/18 16:35:10)  OHB: i’m glad i did and that I could inspire new things and help to push things forward
(01/18 16:35:31)  OHB: But, we should never forgot about those people behind the scenes
(01/18 16:35:37)  JamieWithHNKey: Good idea, he would be fun for the Fun House event
(01/18 16:35:48)  OHB: My projects were all very public
(01/18 16:36:10)  OHB: His never were…but everyone in here has been impacting by things that he and the other GoW guys have done
(01/18 16:36:30)  OHB: If the memorial imager breaks or needs updated, Cyan calls one of them to fix it.
(01/18 16:36:38)  Calum Traveler: agreed, the behind-the-scenes stuff is all just as important as the public stuff. :)
(01/18 16:36:41)  OHB: they’re impact is amazing
(01/18 16:36:44)  OHB: so, always remember them
(01/18 16:36:57)  OHB: i was always the public face of the grey hats because people already knew me
(01/18 16:37:13)  radioflux: plus, orange stands out ;)
(01/18 16:37:20)  OHB: so, i don’t regret anything that happened, but i try to remain humble about it and remember my place in the larger picture
(01/18 16:37:33)  JamieWithHNKey: Well said OHB
(01/18 16:37:36)  OHB: @radioflux, indeed!
(01/18 16:37:38)  ~ Kaaja ~: yes
(01/18 16:37:48)  OHB: Kaaja asked about the IRL me
(01/18 16:38:14)  ~ Kaaja ~: you DO have orange hair!!  ;)
(01/18 16:38:19)  OHB: So, in real life, something i don’t often talk about in the cavern, so take notes lol!, my name is Lewis
(01/18 16:38:31)  OHB: yes, i do actually have natural orange hair
(01/18 16:38:33) VBCoder wonders what happened to the translator
(01/18 16:38:59)  OHB: up until Dec 31st, I had an orange car with a license plate that says “I AM OHB”
(01/18 16:39:17)  JamieWithHNKey: LOL cool!
(01/18 16:39:21)  lisa-maria: :)
(01/18 16:39:24)  OHB: then i bought a new car and it doesn’t come in orange, so until I get that fixed, I now drive a black Fiat 500L which I adore
(01/18 16:39:34)  ~ Kaaja ~: lol
(01/18 16:39:45)  OHB: I live in Celebration, FL just ouside of Orlando across the street from Disney World
(01/18 16:39:46)  JamieWithHNKey: Does it still say “I am OHB”?
(01/18 16:39:46)  Calum Traveler: hehe
(01/18 16:39:57)  ~ Kaaja ~: miss clairol # G11
(01/18 16:40:06)  OHB: @Jamie, it doesn’t because i have to get an updated tag…but it will again soon
(01/18 16:40:19)  JamieWithHNKey: Cool!
(01/18 16:40:25)  OHB: I was working for Disney, but I currently work for Electronic Arts
(01/18 16:40:29) ~ Kaaja ~ cheers
(01/18 16:40:35) Cpt. Jericho thought OHB would drive a cOHBra
(01/18 16:40:36)  ~ Kaaja ~: fantastic!
(01/18 16:40:36) Calum Traveler claps his hands
(01/18 16:40:45)  JamieWithHNKey: Mass Effect Electronic Arts?
(01/18 16:40:57)  JamieWithHNKey: And wait your worked for Disney!
(01/18 16:41:05)  OHB: My fav character is Stitch and I collected Stitch plushes. See orangehairedboy.com/stitch for a crappy website that lists most of them.
(01/18 16:41:10)  OHB: I really need to update that…
(01/18 16:41:38)  OHB: @Jamie, yes, I’ve worked for Disney twice. This last time I was working on the new disneyworld.com and the MagicBands and MyMagic+ stuff
(01/18 16:41:46)  Calum Traveler: heh, Everyone loves Stitch! XD
(01/18 16:41:52)  OHB: :)
(01/18 16:42:07)  OHB: And, that’s the basics of my real life :)
(01/18 16:42:19)  ~ Kaaja ~: nice!!  thanks for sharing
(01/18 16:42:24) Calum Traveler claps his hands
(01/18 16:42:25)  OHB: no problem :)
(01/18 16:42:25)  JamieWithHNKey: Thanks very much for sharing
(01/18 16:42:37)  ~ Kaaja ~: wish you great success in whatever you do
(01/18 16:42:39)  OHB: any more questions?
(01/18 16:42:43)  OHB: @Kaaja thanks!
(01/18 16:42:54)  Calum Traveler: same here, good luck in all your projects, OHB,
(01/18 16:43:02)  OHB: @Calum appreciated!
(01/18 16:43:33)  OHB: @Jamie, have you received any more questions?
(01/18 16:43:44)  JamieWithHNKey: No I have not, my que is empty
(01/18 16:44:02)  OHB: alright, well last call then. if that’s it, i’ll turn things back over to Jamie

END!

OHB’s email is me@his domain name
His domain name is orangehairedboy.com.

OHB and his cavern enhancing inventions…

Heritage Nihgt sesson II, will be Saturday January 18th, 2014 at 13:00 Ki time. Mark the date in your new calendar! The topic will be “OHB and his cavern enhancing inventions…”, OHB is the creater of the first Cyan approved robot, GULP and a robot supposedly created by his arch nemesis which was a BOMB designed to destory the carvern.(luckly epxlores put a stop too it).

The man himself will be appearing at this event to talk about his inventions in his own words! This is the event
you don’t want to miss!

Chatlog form firs HN Event

(12/15 15:24:43)  JamieWithHNKey: Apprently if I run the game in a window it will only run at 1 – 2 FPS
(12/15 15:25:03)  JamieWithHNKey: So I had to kill the game and delete my graphics.ini
(12/15 15:25:22)  JamieWithHNKey: Ok the next part I be exactly qouting people so I may not be able to respond
(12/15 15:25:29)  Tom(Samoth): we are glad you are back… :)
(12/15 15:25:48)  JamieWithHNKey: When MOUla opened in 2010 Victer Laxman said
(12/15 15:26:09)  JamieWithHNKey: “A couple of my security sensors were tripped about an hour ago (around 3:20 Cavern Time).”
(12/15 15:26:30)  JamieWithHNKey: I know it has been a while since we’ve talked, but none of you had mentioned any upcoming plans to visit the Cavern. Did I miss a memo?
(12/15 15:26:51)  JamieWithHNKey: “If it wasn’t any of us, we definitely ought to look into it. Unfortunately, I cannot get away from my surface duties in the near future.Anyone have time to go?I know it is probably nothing, but still… well, you know. “
(12/15 15:27:32)  JamieWithHNKey: Dr.Kodama and Marie Suthland agreed to meet with hin in carvern
(12/15 15:27:39)  JamieWithHNKey: Pause to give oyu a chance to read…
(12/15 15:28:47)  JamieWithHNKey: A few days latter Marie posted the follwoing:
(12/15 15:29:40)  JamieWithHNKey: “Quite a trip. Sorry you couldn’t make it. Your sensors are fine. There are a handful of explorers in the Cavern, but they didn’t trip the ones you sent us to check. In fact, the area was still secure, which means that it was one of us. I have my suspicions that we need to talk to our former fearless leader
(12/15 15:29:57)  JamieWithHNKey: WOPSE pasted the worng thing
(12/15 15:30:09)  JamieWithHNKey: Quite a trip. Sorry you couldn’t make it. Your sensors are fine. There are a handful of explorers in the Cavern, but they didn’t trip the ones you sent us to check. In fact, the area was still secure, which means that it was one of us. I have my suspicions that we need to talk to our former fearless leader about that. Funny guy. Glad I didn’t cancel any big plans to head down for his wild goose chase
(12/15 15:30:44)  JamieWithHNKey: Oh nevermind just wrapped funny
(12/15 15:30:56)  JamieWithHNKey: He want on too say that some explores had never left
(12/15 15:31:13)  JamieWithHNKey: DOH! SHE!
(12/15 15:31:24)  ventris: no worries Jamie
(12/15 15:31:42)  JamieWithHNKey: She tol them they cold stay as long as their where caful
(12/15 15:31:59)  JamieWithHNKey: Now for those of you how are not aware when MOUL(gametap) closed
(12/15 15:32:35)  JamieWithHNKey: People feared that a bad group of Borah where going to attack
(12/15 15:33:13)  JamieWithHNKey: But luckly it would appear that a good group of Borah are keeping them at bay
(12/15 15:33:47)  JamieWithHNKey: The deaitls of these previus MOULa events can be fount on the hertiage night site
(12/15 15:34:59)  JamieWithHNKey: So people where now allowed in cavern
(12/15 15:35:10)  JamieWithHNKey: A place that they had not been since 2007
(12/15 15:35:21)  JamieWithHNKey: some had snuck in annywarese
(12/15 15:35:31)  JamieWithHNKey: Others had not been there since before that
(12/15 15:35:56)  JamieWithHNKey: At one point ealery on a member of the DRC(I can’t remember who)
(12/15 15:36:08)  JamieWithHNKey: Appeared in cavern to talk to everyone
(12/15 15:36:13)  JamieWithHNKey: Now changing gears….
(12/15 15:36:27)  radioflux: wasn’t that Kodama?
(12/15 15:36:40)  JamieWithHNKey: I will talk now from a OOC pespective
(12/15 15:37:01)  G’Pa: what is OOC?
(12/15 15:37:02)  JamieWithHNKey: It may have been, I’ve been busy and wassen’t there, so forgot to get the docunmentation
(12/15 15:37:07)  JamieWithHNKey: I’m about to explain
(12/15 15:37:28)  JamieWithHNKey: So far everything I’ve siad has been in a perspective as if this is all real(and not a computer game(
(12/15 15:37:37)  JamieWithHNKey: It is IN CHARCTER
(12/15 15:38:03)  JamieWithHNKey: in this game you will find that at a lot of events people like to epxlain things as if this is all real
(12/15 15:38:19)  JamieWithHNKey: That is the point of forms.drcsite.org
(12/15 15:38:28)  JamieWithHNKey: Hold on a moment
(12/15 15:38:52)  JamieWithHNKey: sorry that was the point
(12/15 15:39:10)  JamieWithHNKey: Cyan had to lock the site since no one in this verstion of MOULa used it.
(12/15 15:39:47)  JamieWithHNKey: but back in 2007, the MOULa forms where for ‘real’ OOC duscsitonts and the DRC forum for IC onse
(12/15 15:39:53)  JamieWithHNKey: Back on track
(12/15 15:40:09)  JamieWithHNKey: i’m going to tell about my first days here in cavern so you can know what it was like
(12/15 15:40:23)  JamieWithHNKey: I was here since a few weeks after the game opened
(12/15 15:40:31)  JamieWithHNKey: This a
(12/15 15:40:41)  JamieWithHNKey: This avitar is quite new though
(12/15 15:40:56)  JamieWithHNKey: When the game opened, it was almost impossible to get in
(12/15 15:40:58)  Blanka: NP
(12/15 15:41:22)  JamieWithHNKey: In fact there was a day when Cyanworlds.com crashed as well as the forms
(12/15 15:41:42)  JamieWithHNKey: This is beacuase the number of people who signed up and started playing was way more then Cyan had
(12/15 15:41:58)  JamieWithHNKey: Inserspated and their Severs could not handle the load
(12/15 15:42:22)  JamieWithHNKey: Also you could attempt to download the game off of the sever and everyone had to do it at once
(12/15 15:42:53)  JamieWithHNKey: When I first herd that MOULa had re-opened and it was free, I thought it was too good to be true
(12/15 15:44:11)  JamieWithHNKey: I thought it was run by teh Gould Of Writers
(12/15 15:45:07)  JamieWithHNKey: Who at the time where(and sitll are) running an illgeal server that is a hack on URU offline
(12/15 15:45:19)  JamieWithHNKey: (it’s illgel beaucse it’s hack)
(12/15 15:45:46) Cpt. Jericho coughs
(12/15 15:46:12)  JamieWithHNKey: See it was just so increable to me that Cyan Cayan.., the great and mightly where releasing a fiormly paid severs for free
(12/15 15:47:01)  JamieWithHNKey: (so I thought it must be a fan thing and maybe someone took over the site or something)
(12/15 15:47:08)  JamieWithHNKey: luckly this was not the case
(12/15 15:47:49)  JamieWithHNKey: I couden’t get in even after I spent half a day downlaoding the client
(12/15 15:48:06)  JamieWithHNKey: Since there where too many people trying to connect like I siad
(12/15 15:48:42)  JamieWithHNKey: A few weeks latter I fianlly got in but I had missed whatever DRC memeber had appeard
(12/15 15:49:20)  JamieWithHNKey: I had never played MOUL but had played URU + Path to the shell
(12/15 15:49:32)  JamieWithHNKey: So I thought an online URU was exicting
(12/15 15:49:49)  JamieWithHNKey: I was very exiting when I swa the new Ki, which is very cool
(12/15 15:50:03)  JamieWithHNKey: The first thing I noticed was…
(12/15 15:50:16)  JamieWithHNKey: well having just got a 16:9 screen for cristmass
(12/15 15:50:31)  JamieWithHNKey: I could help but notice the destoryed aspect ratio
(12/15 15:50:50)  JamieWithHNKey: annyone who is running the normal cleint obserbee that they still haven’t fixed this
(12/15 15:51:00)  JamieWithHNKey: notice that I am thinner then I should be
(12/15 15:51:10)  radioflux: heh
(12/15 15:51:19)  JamieWithHNKey: This was only recently fixed
(12/15 15:51:43)  JamieWithHNKey: Oh and all the resulstionts where hard coded as well
(12/15 15:52:07)  JamieWithHNKey: So you could only display like 1600 x 900 max or seomthing just a bit bigger
(12/15 15:52:42)  JamieWithHNKey: I think back in the day, I used 1280×800 and set my mointer to streach the image to it’s more correct size
(12/15 15:53:12)  JamieWithHNKey: This issue has only been reecently correctly on the Gehn Shard and in the ineneral cleint which offcouse diden’t exist until
(12/15 15:53:17)  JamieWithHNKey: much latter on
(12/15 15:53:48)  JamieWithHNKey: Soon Rand Miller… yes THE RAN
(12/15 15:53:53)  JamieWithHNKey: *RAND
(12/15 15:53:59)  JamieWithHNKey: Would appear in cavern
(12/15 15:54:10)  JamieWithHNKey: Ans guess where I was when he was online
(12/15 15:54:20)  JamieWithHNKey: ….
(12/15 15:54:27)  JamieWithHNKey: In Telidan
(12/15 15:54:36)  JamieWithHNKey: This was still ealery days
(12/15 15:54:43)  JamieWithHNKey: And I was solving my ages
(12/15 15:55:03)  JamieWithHNKey: But accoding to the chat logs of Rands vist(which was unannonced)
(12/15 15:55:20)  JamieWithHNKey: At the time he appeared in the main city…
(12/15 15:55:28)  JamieWithHNKey: I was in Relto….
(12/15 15:55:36)  JamieWithHNKey: I decided where to go next….
(12/15 15:55:53)  JamieWithHNKey: I clicked on my bookshelf
(12/15 15:55:56)  JamieWithHNKey: ….
(12/15 15:56:06)  JamieWithHNKey: Moved my mouse randomly over the books
(12/15 15:56:18)  JamieWithHNKey: And it ALMOST landed on Nexises
(12/15 15:56:33)  JamieWithHNKey: it landed on Telidan so I dceide to wrok on that one instead…,.
(12/15 15:56:51)  JamieWithHNKey: but I was THIS CLOSE TO SELECTING NEXIS and I would have met THE RAND
(12/15 15:57:04)  JamieWithHNKey: In fact I’ve missed every other Rand sitting
(12/15 15:57:53)  JamieWithHNKey: *siting
(12/15 15:58:54)  JamieWithHNKey: Recently Rand was at the Deni Music Bevin for a talk
(12/15 15:59:20)  JamieWithHNKey: I was in the room just enought for the speaker to call me name but my game never loaded me into the age enought to be playable
(12/15 15:59:54)  Tom(Samoth): :)))
(12/15 15:59:55)  JamieWithHNKey: It loaded for the 45 minutes the event took place for
(12/15 16:00:14)  JamieWithHNKey: The other times really life got in the way :(
(12/15 16:00:41)  Tom(Samoth): sorry, i have to leave…
(12/15 16:00:46)  JamieWithHNKey: Those first meeting where casually in nature
(12/15 16:00:57)  D’lago: Bye, Tom!
(12/15 16:01:03)  JamieWithHNKey: Bye Tom thanks for dropping…. he’s gone :(
(12/15 16:01:17)  JamieWithHNKey: Annways those first Rand meeting where casually in nature
(12/15 16:01:34)  JamieWithHNKey: Much like the recent RAWA meeting for Obduction
(12/15 16:01:44)  JamieWithHNKey: where there was no que and you could ask him anythikng
(12/15 16:02:08)  JamieWithHNKey: Unforchently now adays you have to que quesionts in advance
(12/15 16:02:15)  JamieWithHNKey: (it’s easeir for Rand that way)
(12/15 16:02:34) ventris ques questionts
(12/15 16:02:48)  JamieWithHNKey: If I ever do get a change to talk to hin cassually I will ask him to sign my Riven CDs
(12/15 16:03:01)  JamieWithHNKey: since that is one of my many favorit games of all time
(12/15 16:03:51)  JamieWithHNKey: I will also ask hin weather he players as avatiers other then has own since there are rummers of that
(12/15 16:04:14)  JamieWithHNKey: I’ve asked in the past but “queing” questionst on the forums but there never asked
(12/15 16:04:27)  Korov’ev: I suspect most cyantists do that :)
(12/15 16:04:28)  JamieWithHNKey: I wonder if it’s something best left unawersed….
(12/15 16:04:55)  JamieWithHNKey: Someone once asked him that at mysteirum but he diden’t seem to understand what they where saying
(12/15 16:05:19)  radioflux: that proves it
(12/15 16:05:46)  JamieWithHNKey: acctully knowing Rand.. who is extreamly clever he might have been avoindg the question
(12/15 16:06:14)  JamieWithHNKey: Well that’s it for me for the story
(12/15 16:06:29)  JamieWithHNKey: Any questionts about the story?
(12/15 16:06:51)  Korov’ev: more like a doubt…
(12/15 16:07:18)  ventris: who were the unauthorized explorers?
(12/15 16:07:30)  JamieWithHNKey: Oh good question
(12/15 16:08:05)  JamieWithHNKey: When MOULa closed in 2007, the DRC had decied that it was too dangurs to be in cavern
(12/15 16:08:12)  JamieWithHNKey: Due to the Borah thing
(12/15 16:08:27)  JamieWithHNKey: So the unaothorizsed explorers where us comming back
(12/15 16:09:02)  JamieWithHNKey: OOC: There are unmaed, this is more of a way for Cyan to say “we are opening the cavern again, the story we continue”
(12/15 16:09:22)  JamieWithHNKey: In fact the story contiunes to this day…
(12/15 16:09:31)  JamieWithHNKey: sorry I’m back in storyteller mode
(12/15 16:09:36)  JamieWithHNKey: Annways next quesiton
(12/15 16:10:35)  JamieWithHNKey: did I die, or can you still here me?
(12/15 16:10:38)  ventris: when did you realize it was NOT a fan run thing?
(12/15 16:11:44)  JamieWithHNKey: I can’t remember
(12/15 16:12:05)  JamieWithHNKey: I think it was when Rand appeard
(12/15 16:12:05)  Korov’ev: I was wondering if, in OOC terms, “explorers still in the cavern” meant the UU shards…
(12/15 16:12:27)  JamieWithHNKey: Hold on a secound still on the last point
(12/15 16:12:50)  radioflux: we need a question queue! ;)
(12/15 16:13:06)  Korov’ev: call doobes :)
(12/15 16:13:09)  JamieWithHNKey: Could have also been when Cyanworlds.com went down or just after time
(12/15 16:13:17)  JamieWithHNKey: Ok OOC
(12/15 16:13:47)  JamieWithHNKey: I don’t know about that Korov’ev although that’s what I’ve teken it to be
(12/15 16:14:03)  Musica: I’d like to say something, if I may
(12/15 16:14:39)  JamieWithHNKey: Although Cyan does not approve UU shards that use hacekd verstions of the URU:CC/URU + PoTS cleint      
(12/15 16:14:57) To Musica: your in my mentel que
(12/15 16:15:10)  Korov’ev: that’s the point :)
(12/15 16:15:14)  JamieWithHNKey: They do know about them
(12/15 16:15:33)  JamieWithHNKey: Go ahead Musica
(12/15 16:15:35)  Musica: I really appreciate your efforts in offering this review of the Moula restart, Jamie
(12/15 16:15:52)  JamieWithHNKey: Thank you, I really like doing it :)
(12/15 16:16:12)  Musica: 1. I recently completed transcribing the Rand Miller interivew in the DMR and am waiting for Doobes or Lyrositor to post it publicly
(12/15 16:16:33)  JamieWithHNKey: Oh was that this weekend!
(12/15 16:16:49)  Musica: 2. This Saturday night, Robyn Miller is returning to the DMR for a 2nd interrview at 1800 KI time and I have t lot of questions.
(12/15 16:17:01)  Musica: That’s 12/21
(12/15 16:17:29)  Musica: Rand was interviewed in JUly, befor the kickstarter but it’s still has spome interesting and funny statements
(12/15 16:17:43)  JamieWithHNKey: Oh yes, I won’t be able to make that one….
(12/15 16:17:52)  JamieWithHNKey: I’m having a freind over
(12/15 16:18:01)  JamieWithHNKey: LOL once again I miss rand
(12/15 16:18:50)  Musica: It’s Robyn this time 12/21
(12/15 16:19:26)  JamieWithHNKey: That’s almost as intersting
(12/15 16:19:47)  JamieWithHNKey: No offens to Robyn
(12/15 16:19:55)  Musica: All 3 Miller brothers are said to be acting in Obduction, so of course we have questions
(12/15 16:20:12)  JamieWithHNKey: OH man! That sounds cool!
(12/15 16:20:26)  JamieWithHNKey: Hold on a sec
(12/15 16:20:55)  JamieWithHNKey: Musica do you want the stage?
(12/15 16:21:22) Enders is hanging by his toenails
(12/15 16:21:44)  radioflux: ouch
(12/15 16:21:49)  Musica: I don’t know if I can answer specific questions about Moula. RL has kept me out a lot in the last year
(12/15 16:22:45)  JamieWithHNKey: No I meant to talk about music stuff
(12/15 16:23:01)  Musica: ok
(12/15 16:23:10) D’lago claps his hands
(12/15 16:23:16) ventris claps her hands
(12/15 16:23:16) DbeMagic claps her hands
(12/15 16:23:29)  JamieWithHNKey: Hertiage night will return after a word from our sponser
(12/15 16:23:38)  Korov’ev: careful with the werecone
(12/15 16:23:42) From ventris: good start Jamie you got people interested
(12/15 16:23:44)  D’lago: Ladies and gentleman, we are pleased to introduce… the traffic cone.
(12/15 16:24:22)  Musica: The music broadcasts in the DMR started basically after our founder, Turjan, has RL issues that took him out of the cavern for the most part.
(12/15 16:24:45) To ventris: No problem, I will have to look at historical docuements and see what’s next maybe OHBot
(12/15 16:25:02)  Musica: Christine and talked about what we could do too bring more music to the cavern and came up with the broadcast idea. I was out of work at the time and pitched in.
(12/15 16:26:11)  Musica: Originally we used the live Chat to broadcast but soon came up with using Ustream. Early this year they switched to Shoutcast but I don’t know how that works, so doubt I can give my usualy Christmas music broadcast
(12/15 16:26:21) From Enders: i have suggestions, see me later
(12/15 16:27:08)  Musica: Planetary was an audio engineer in a former life, so he puts a lot of the technical stuff down easily.
(12/15 16:27:09)  ventrisdeja: hiya
(12/15 16:28:12)  Musica: Christine has a large music collection, so is able to bring many different types of music to the breoadcasts,
(12/15 16:28:52) To Enders: Ok sure
(12/15 16:28:59)  Musica: Anything I can answer for youu? One of these days I’ll write about it
(12/15 16:30:06)  Musica: Otherwise, Jamie, you/re back on
(12/15 16:30:13) JamieWithHNKey imatates Dobas2
(12/15 16:30:13) D’lago claps his hands
(12/15 16:30:22)  JamieWithHNKey: I have no questions in the que
(12/15 16:30:24)  ventris: when did you start the broadcasts?
(12/15 16:30:33)  radioflux: sadly, the DMR broadcasts are a bit late for me
(12/15 16:30:34)  Musica: June of 2010
(12/15 16:30:51)  Musica: and we really did use the voice chat key at first
(12/15 16:31:05)  ventris: and did the hood get opened just for that?
(12/15 16:31:13)  ventris: or was it a thing before that?
(12/15 16:31:33)  Musica: No, it was opened in GameTap era by Turjan and another explorer
(12/15 16:31:48)  Musica: Previouse MOUL, sorry
(12/15 16:32:14)  G’Pa: I apologize..I must link to RL   this was very informative .  Thank you
(12/15 16:32:14)  ventris: and had christine been a part of that?
(12/15 16:32:17)  JamieWithHNKey: Historien going to step in here
(12/15 16:32:41)  JamieWithHNKey: The GameTap MOULa is “MOUL”, MOUL on this shard is “MOULa”
(12/15 16:32:57)  Musica: I believe she had played all the games but came in when current MOULA opened
(12/15 16:33:19)  JamieWithHNKey: See you latter G’Pa and keep an eye out on the forsm for the next event
(12/15 16:33:43)  JamieWithHNKey: Which will have it’s own thread
(12/15 16:33:50)  JamieWithHNKey: Sorry about the interupation
(12/15 16:34:13)  ventris: so how did you come to get the use of the hood. which makes great sense but how?
(12/15 16:35:37)  Musica: Use of the hood is pretty much up to the members of that hood. Christine, Mouski and Planetary handle the events in the DMR, but anyone can contribute or participate
(12/15 16:36:33)  JamieWithHNKey: I hate to intrupt but I do have at lest 2 more segments to do, so lets have one more question
(12/15 16:37:39)  Musica: Any more?
(12/15 16:38:02) D’lago claps his hands
(12/15 16:38:13)  JamieWithHNKey: I have nothing in the cue
(12/15 16:38:13) DbeMagic claps her hands
(12/15 16:38:14) Error: Don’t know how to ‘/shurg’
(12/15 16:38:18) JamieWithHNKey claps his hands
(12/15 16:38:32) ventris claps her hands
(12/15 16:38:44)  JamieWithHNKey: I can’t hear you Enders
(12/15 16:38:56)  Musica: 2 more segments , awright
(12/15 16:39:25)  JamieWithHNKey: #1 ending…
(12/15 16:39:32) Musica claps her hands
(12/15 16:39:35)  JamieWithHNKey: Thanks for comeing
(12/15 16:39:39)  JamieWithHNKey: Don’t go yet
(12/15 16:39:42) ventris claps her hands
(12/15 16:39:45) D’lago claps his hands
(12/15 16:40:10)  JamieWithHNKey: Any newish players can stick around for a Q&A at which point you can ask any qustion about the game
(12/15 16:40:14)  JamieWithHNKey: or the past
(12/15 16:40:32)  JamieWithHNKey: But first some notes
(12/15 16:40:39)  JamieWithHNKey: The next event will be….
(12/15 16:40:41)  JamieWithHNKey: wait for it
(12/15 16:40:44)  JamieWithHNKey: NEXT YEAR
(12/15 16:40:55)  JamieWithHNKey: which issen’t that long a wait…
(12/15 16:41:01)  ventris: wow so loooong to wait
(12/15 16:41:22)  DbeMagic: ^^
(12/15 16:41:25)  JamieWithHNKey: Annways I will have to check the histroical notes to see what comes next
(12/15 16:41:40)  JamieWithHNKey: it might be a Januray or mabe Feburay
(12/15 16:42:01)  JamieWithHNKey: I might want to get a particalualar person who is hard to get
(12/15 16:42:09)  JamieWithHNKey: Some of you may knnow OHB….
(12/15 16:42:24)  JamieWithHNKey: Hopfully I can get him as a gust spekere
(12/15 16:42:33)  ventris: oh yeah Jamie!
(12/15 16:42:47)  JamieWithHNKey: Some people seem to know who he is :)
(12/15 16:43:04)  JamieWithHNKey: He made the first ever approved robot in the cavern
(12/15 16:43:18)  JamieWithHNKey: so hope to see you all next month
(12/15 16:43:18) Thumbs up from Korov’ev
(12/15 16:43:21)  JamieWithHNKey: BUT
(12/15 16:43:22) ventris claps her hands
(12/15 16:43:26) ventrisdeja claps her hands
(12/15 16:43:28) D’lago claps his hands
(12/15 16:43:29)  JamieWithHNKey: before we part any last questionts
(12/15 16:43:32) JamieWithHNKey bows
(12/15 16:43:40) JamieWithHNKey bows
(12/15 16:43:52)  ventris: thanks jamie
(12/15 16:43:58)  JamieWithHNKey: No problem\
(12/15 16:44:02)  JamieWithHNKey: Thanks for comeing
(12/15 16:44:15)  Musica: See you around the cavern
(12/15 16:44:43)  JamieWithHNKey: Now the final segment…. any newish players can meet me by the funtion for a casul Q&A
(12/15 16:44:52)  DbeMagic: as i was late (sorry bout that): will there be a log?
(12/15 16:44:57)  JamieWithHNKey: (did anybody get that I turne around between segments)
EFFECTIVE END OF EFFENT, SO I ENDED THE LOG HERE.